OUR HISTORY

The Baths of San Giacomo were officially born in 1933, in a period when thermalism aroused great enthusiasm, driven by the myth of the body and physical prestige and supported by the will of the Regime to enhance the natural resources of the country.

Starting from the Baths, Sarnano lived years of ambitious planning and important investments which earned it the title of Station of Cure and Hospitality (1936), definitive seal to its tourist vocation, born and raised around the Source of San Giacomo.

The excellent properties of the waters which flow from this source are known to the people of Sarnano since ancient times.

Documents dating back to the 16th century attest it with certainty.

Lost in a distant time is also the legendary link with Saint Giacomo della Marca, a famous franciscan preacher of the 15th century who left traces of his passage here.

Actually, it appears more founded the connection of the source to St. James the Apostle, protector of the pilgrims, to whom a 14th century Hospitale (hospital), which rose not far from the source,was entitled.

More recent news is provided by Doctor G.N. Cenni, a country doctor during the first half of the 19th century: in his Medical topography of Sarnano and his territory reported that among the public sources that of “Gnagnano or San Giacomo” provided a water of excellent quality and he recommended to use it.

However, we have to wait for the following century to witness a real rediscovery of the Saint Giacomo spring that coincided with the construction of a bridge over the Rio Terro river, along the Sarnano – Gualdo road. The workers, quenching their thirst, unintentionally tested their diuretic properties; Enrico Ricciardi, a local poet and frequent visitor to the spa, intrigued, wanted to try them and he sensed their qualities.

It was 1929 when the Podestà, Delio De Minicis, having learned about the “discovery”, commissioned the University of Camerino and the Provincial Laboratory of Hygiene to carry out the first chemical and bacteriological analyses.

The excellent results attracted Professor Silvestro Baglioni, an internationally renowned physiologist at the University of Rome who, after new analyses, physiological studies and experiments, defined the waters of Saint Giacomo diuretic, decongestant and laxative, such as to possess, alone, the properties of the waters of the most renowned Italian thermal stations.

Since 1931 Professor Baglioni assumed the position of consultant of the Baths.

After a first period in which the free flow was allowed, work began to be carried out for their actual valorization. On July 9th, 1933, the first nucleus of the hydropinic spa, built by the Municipality of Sarnano, was inaugurated, also with the contribution of many citizens, equipped with a beautiful park and a plant for bottling.

A new season of projects and investments opened in the 80s.

Being known the presence of a sulphurous water source near the Rio Terro, in the Sassetto area, it came to the collection of a sulphurous water, called Terro, which belongs to the large sulfur family, always present in the history of the medical hydrology.

At the same time dates the collection, in the locality of Morelli, of the Tre Santi water: an oligomineral water classified as calcium bicarbonate whose name derives from the homonymous valley between the Sassotetto and Castelmanardo mountains. At the availability of these additional waters followed the expansion of the spa. New departments were set up for spa therapies, which were added to hydropinic treatments.

1933
The Baths of San Giacomo were officially born in 1933, in a period when thermalism aroused great enthusiasm, driven by the myth of the body and physical prestige and supported by the will of the Regime to enhance the natural resources of the country.

Starting from the Baths, Sarnano lived years of ambitious planning and important investments which earned it the title of Station of Cure and Hospitality (1936), definitive seal to its tourist vocation, born and raised around the Source of San Giacomo.

The excellent properties of the waters which flow from this source are known to the people of Sarnano since ancient times.

Documents dating back to the 16th century attest it with certainty.

Lost in a distant time is also the legendary link with Saint Giacomo della Marca, a famous franciscan preacher of the 15th century who left traces of his passage here.

Actually, it appears more founded the connection of the source to St. James the Apostle, protector of the pilgrims, to whom a 14th century Hospitale (hospital), which rose not far from the source,was entitled.

More recent news is provided by Doctor G.N. Cenni, a country doctor during the first half of the 19th century: in his Medical topography of Sarnano and his territory reported that among the public sources that of “Gnagnano or San Giacomo” provided a water of excellent quality and he recommended to use it.

However, we have to wait for the following century to witness a real rediscovery of the Saint Giacomo spring that coincided with the construction of a bridge over the Rio Terro river, along the Sarnano – Gualdo road. The workers, quenching their thirst, unintentionally tested their diuretic properties; Enrico Ricciardi, a local poet and frequent visitor to the spa, intrigued, wanted to try them and he sensed their qualities.

It was 1929 when the Podestà, Delio De Minicis, having learned about the “discovery”, commissioned the University of Camerino and the Provincial Laboratory of Hygiene to carry out the first chemical and bacteriological analyses.

The excellent results attracted Professor Silvestro Baglioni, an internationally renowned physiologist at the University of Rome who, after new analyses, physiological studies and experiments, defined the waters of Saint Giacomo diuretic, decongestant and laxative, such as to possess, alone, the properties of the waters of the most renowned Italian thermal stations.

Since 1931 Professor Baglioni assumed the position of consultant of the Baths.

After a first period in which the free flow was allowed, work began to be carried out for their actual valorization. On July 9th, 1933, the first nucleus of the hydropinic spa, built by the Municipality of Sarnano, was inaugurated, also with the contribution of many citizens, equipped with a beautiful park and a plant for bottling.

A new season of projects and investments opened in the 80s.

Being known the presence of a sulphurous water source near the Rio Terro, in the Sassetto area, it came to the collection of a sulphurous water, called Terro, which belongs to the large sulfur family, always present in the history of the medical hydrology.

At the same time dates the collection, in the locality of Morelli, of the Tre Santi water: an oligomineral water classified as calcium bicarbonate whose name derives from the homonymous valley between the Sassotetto and Castelmanardo mountains. At the availability of these additional waters followed the expansion of the spa. New departments were set up for spa therapies, which were added to hydropinic treatments.

2017

Towards 100 years in the new building

After the 2016 earthquake our history goes on in the new Thermal Baths